Sundried tomato and anchovy breadksticks
- Making the bread:
- 4 cups whitebread flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 10g instant yeast
- 4 teaspoons sugar
- 1 ½ cups lukewarm water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- For the filling:
- 4 tablespoons anchovies, roughly chopped
- 1 cup sundried tomato pesto
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 cup grated Grana Padano
- A few grindings of black pepper
- Poppy seeds, to garnish (optional)
- Step 1 Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Step 2 In a bowl, add the flour, salt, instant yeast and sugar. Mix well and then add the lukewarm water little by little. Turn the mixture onto a floured surface and knead until you have a smooth dough. Once yo have reached this stage, add the tablespoon of olive oil, and knead that into the dough.
- Step 3 Place the dough into a large bowl. Sprinkle a little bit of oil the top to stop the dough from sticking and cover the bowl with cling film. Place the dough in a warm place and leave to prove until it has doubled in size.
- Step 4 Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured surface. Roll it out with a rolling pin until thin and even.
- Step 5 Spread the sundried tomato pesto over the dough then sprinkle anchovies, the rosemary, the Grana Padano cheese and grind over some black pepper to taste. (Be sure to spread to the edges.)
- Step 6 Fold the dough in half and form a rectangle.
- Step 7 Cut off the edges where there is no filling, and then cut the dough into one 2.5 cm strips. Give each strip a slight twist. (You are looking for a loose corkscrew effect.)
- Step 8 Place your breadsticks on a lightly floured baking tray (keep them slightly apart to leave enough room for them to rise). Brush them with water and then sprinkle over some poppy seeds.
- Step 9 Leave them to rise until they are twice their size.
- Step 10 Bake for 15 to 20 minutes until golden and crisp.